Wednesday 8 September 2010

Durian

I've always been intrigued by Durian, the famously stinky Thai fruit.  My brother once sent me a photo which he took whilst living in Thailand - it was similar to this...


... although I think his also included 'no dogs' and 'no guns'!

Anyway, it appears that Durian are currently in season.  We've been smelling them every time we enter a supermarket.  They have a very strange but incredibly pungent scent, best described as smelling like gas, maybe something rotting, or some kind of chemical.  Rob and I were trying to describe it whilst in the car last week, when we suddenly found ourselves driving past a municipal rubbish dump.  We both inhaled the smell and exclaimed "Durian!" 

They're very odd looking fruit - I couldn't resist a shot with one in the supermarket recently.


As you can see, they sell them whole, halved and in segments of varying sizes.  They're incredibly expensive, with a whole Durian costing up to $30 (about 15 UK pounds). 

I couldn't help but think that something so expensive must have something to recommend it.  I have seen lots of people buying them, so they're clearly popular.  And they're in season - I won't get the chance to try one for another year.

So I bought a piece.  The smallest piece I could find.


It was squidgy and almost silky in texture.  It kind of looked like a raw chicken breast, and the flesh was soft and custardy.


Obviously it smelled gross, but surely once you get it past your nose it'll taste OK.  Right?

Right?


WRONG!!!

 It tasted as vile as it smelled!  Totally revolting.  Pungent and acrid, a kind of chemically taste that stuck in your throat and brought on the gag-reflex.

 
Truly the most disgusting thing I've EVER eaten!  I look like I'm about to cry in this photo.  Which sums it up really. 

Needless to say it went straight in the bin...  the OUTSIDE bin.

You win some, you lose some!  Just take it from me, this one's just not worth it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yucky!!! these 'acquired' tastes aren't really worth acquiring =) and I wonder if people only try to like it because it's considered upper-class (due to price). Like, try not to think of frogspawn when you have caviar in your mouth =)

Thank you, brave ones =P

Sarah said...

Lol you guys are so funny! I've really enjoyed reading your Brunei posts, as they remind me of home (I am from Malaysia). Well done for trying it, I know the smell is very offputting!

Inkdip - Durian is definitely not something "people try to like it because it's considered upper-class". I don't personally like it, but my family is OBSESSED by them and I find that Malaysians generally are because of the taste and texture. I can't speak for Brunei, but Durian is not considered an upper-class fruit in Malaysia.

xox Sarah

Sarah said...

Oh PS I don't like durian, but durian ice-cream is AWESOME! It really mellows out all that acridity you wrote about. :)

xox Sarah

Snowy said...

I'll cross that off my list then!
I suppose every country has its weird and wonderful things. Love the photos of your and Rob's faces!

xx

Anonymous said...

Kate! I laughed so much! I was/am very curious about durian, I recall Anthony Bourdain saying it has an amazing taste...but after seeing your pics I am not so sure anymore!
xxx Claudia

nic@nipitinthebud said...

priceless! A pictures speaks a thousand words doesn't it. At least you can say you tried it, you get a whole row of gold stars for that!

Sarah Canada said...

Mate, I'm so proud of you for giving it a go! Ah well you win some...... LOVE the photos of you and Rob, classics xxx

Unknown said...

HAHAHA...you guys just crack me up! You really should give durians another chance, maybe those red Borneo durians I told you about?