Mumbai Spiced Cheese Toastie - Diana Henry
For the fresh chutney:
• handful fresh coriander, leaves only
• leaves from 8 mint sprigs, torn
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• sea-salt flakes, to taste
• ½ tsp caster sugar
• juice of ½ lemon
For the sandwich:
• 2 slices white bread
• 50g cheddar, Lancashire or Wensleydale, grated or very finely sliced
• 1 medium tomato, sliced
• ¼ small red onion, very finely sliced
• a pinch of ground cumin
• a pinch of ground coriander
• a pinch of ground ginger
• a pinch of ground cinnamon
• butter and oil, for frying (if you don’t have a toastie maker)
METHODPut everything for the chutney, except the lemon juice, in a mortar and pound it. You can just chop everything together but the chutney is better if it has had a good pounding. Add the lemon juice.
Spread the chutney over both pieces of bread. Lay the cheese, tomato and onion on one of them and sprinkle over the spices. Top with the other piece of bread.
Use a toasted-sandwich maker, if you have one, or melt a knob of butter and about a quarter of a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and cook the sandwich over a medium heat for about three minutes on each side, weighing it down (I use a flat saucepan lid with a heavy tin on top). Be careful not to burn the outside, and adjust the heat accordingly.
The cheese should have melted. Serve immediately.