Thursday 30 June 2011

A Lemony Day

I love lemons and always like to have some in the house.  However, I have had a bargain-bag of TEN lemons in the fridge for the last week and not got round to using them...  With a bonus Public Holiday yesterday (for Israk Mikraj don't you know?!) in the middle of the last week of term, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to get cooking.



Whilst still in my pyjamas I set about cooking lemon curd.  I hadn't made this for years, and had forgotten just how quick and simple it was.  I love how beautiful it looks; it came out a delicate primrose-yellow.


This recipe used whole eggs, hence the pale colour; to get a richer yellow you'd need to use a recipe that just used yolks; but I thought this was gorgeous - and it tasted wonderful too.

On a roll, I decided to continue the lemony theme and make a lemon cake.  Recently I've become a huge fan of Nigella's Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake (which I don't make in a loaf pan, but as a square tray-bake) but yesterday I wanted to try something a bit different.

After a convoluted saga involving having one-too-few eggs to follow the recipe properly, I ended up adapting the recipe to make just one cake instead of the 2 sandwiched together that it is meant to be.  It looked a little disastrous as it came out of the oven (a large section of meringue collapsed off the side, as you can see).


However, with some careful slicing, and a dollop of lemon curd on the side, it made a very respectable pudding!


The recipe can be found here, on Nigella's website, or in her wonderful 'Feast' book.  As I only had 3 eggs rather than the 4 required I made 3/4 of the recipe amount, and piled it all into 1 tin instead of 2. It therefore took a bit longer to cook than specified, perhaps 10 minutes more than the recipe says, but that required a bit of a juggling act with the oven temperatures to ensure that the meringue didn't over-brown.  It all got a bit complex, and I wasn't taking notes!


However, it's a cake I'd definitely try again... and I don't think that jar of lemon curd is going to last too long either!

2 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Kate, you must, must, must try Nigella's little lemon puddings with your lovely lemon curd!! They are delicious!

(They're on my blog!)

Unknown said...

Next time you make this, Kate, try it with mango curd. It's delicious too! We have an abundance of mangoes here right now and it's a shame not to make the most out of them. Would love to see your lemon curd recipe using whole eggs here, it looks rather lovely.